There is a great conference that will be held in Jamaica. Northern Caribbean University (NCU), through its Department of English and Modern Languages (DEMOL), announces the hosting of its Second International Language Conference. Northern Caribbean University (NCU), Mandeville, Jamaica, W.I. International Language Conference April 3-4, 2012 . For your information, this theme conference is “Un-Babel-ing Language: Engendering Global Understandings” .
The main objectives of this Second International Language Conference are to:
- Get together language teachers interested in the exchange of views on a wide range of issues affecting research and practice in the teaching of languages.
- Enable participants/members to gain better insights into the top language teaching practices, as well as the challenges and rewards of the profession.
- Offer a forum for debate and discussion of ideas surrounding the teaching of reading, writing, composition and literature.
- Make chances for collaborative efforts between colleagues for research and publication with a view to international development.
Here are some big topics include, but are not limited to:
1. Teaching languages to international students
2. The role of the language teacher in cultivating social responsibility
3. The teaching of English, French and Spanish using international travel experiences
4. Approaches to the teaching of grammar
5. Approaches to the teaching of English Composition and Literatures in English in secondary and tertiary institutions
6. The role of literacy in teaching languages
7. The interconnectedness of languages for global understanding.
8. Teaching teachers to teach languages
9. Setting national standards for language teaching in primary and secondary schools
10. Teaching literature to underprepared students: Challenges and Rewards
Proposals should be related to research and practice in the teaching of English, French, Spanish and other foreign languages. Presentation: 20 minutes followed by a 10 minute interactive session. Abstracts (maximum of 250 words) should be in English. Abstracts should be submitted by July 15, 2011 The notification of acceptance will be given by September 30, 2011.
If desired, accommodation in 3-5 Star Hotels can be arranged. Participants who need a Letter of Invitation should contact the chair of the Department of English and Modern Languages, Dr. Carol J. Fider at: [email protected] Enquiries concerning the conference should be emailed to Conference Secretariat at [email protected] You may also call the Department of English and Modern Languages directly at: (1) 876 963-7463 or Northern Caribbean University at (1) 876 962 2204 and dial the extensions 2116, 2117 or 2118.
Northern Caribbean University, Mandeville, Jamaica
The International Language Conference 2012 will be held from 03-Apr-2012 to 04-Apr-2012.
Abstract Submission Information:
Abstracts can be submitted from 01-Feb-2011 until 15-Jul-2011.